Saturday, December 22, 2012

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay






The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare


Rating Scale (1-10): 9

My Review:When I first read the blurb for this book, I thought it was pretty interesting, but since Romeo and Juliet isn't on my Top 5 Favorite Plays, I didn't expect to love it as much as I did. I was super impressed with this spinoff of Romeo and Juliet, and I'm so excited to be getting the sequel Romeo Redeemed. 

Stacey Jay made Romeo and Juliet such strong characters by completely changing the story up. In this version, it turns out Romeo is more than willing to be murderous on Juliet in exchange for eternal life, given to him by evil forces known as the Mercenaries. Juliet, thanks to the Nurse who saves her life, gets eternal life as well, signing up to work for the Ambassadors, the forces of light. I'm guessing you think that sounds a little ridiculous, but it's a fantasy, so . . . yeah. This storyline worked amazingly well for me, though.

Most of the book (besides three chapters/intermezzos from Romeo) is from Juliet's POV. Her work of the Ambassadors of Light entails taking over another person's body for a short period of time. Her goal is to find a pair of lovers and make sure they reach true love, making sure their auras burn brightly for each other. She must join the two lovers together before Romeo could convince one of them to kill the other for eternal life.

This time when Juliet manifests on Earth, she enters the body of a deeply depressed, lonely girl named Ariel Dragland. Unfortunately, Romeo, who takes over dead bodies, restoring them to life so they don't look like nasty zombies, appears in the car with her, since Ariel and Dylan had been in a major car crash. To make the story short, Dylan made a bet that he could sleep with Ariel, she found out, he kind of tried to force her, and she crashed the car, killing him and injuring herself. In other words, Dylan is a huge jerk face! Guess what, though. Romeo is WAY worse and creepier. A quote will be at the end to explain.

Jay's writing was phenomenal, and I was never bored. This book was an instant page-turner. The only problem I had with this book was Juliet. She's portrayed as this strong, determined character, who has wised up from all the horrible things Romeo has done to her. Though she works for true love, she no longer belives it in anymore. And what's a little worse, is that she wants revenge on Romeo.

The problem was that she immediately loves someone else. Ben, the guy who saves her from Romeo the night of the crash. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ben! He was sweet, protective, gorgeous, and he automatically liked Ariel as Juilet. Even during the first encounter, he admitted that he cared about her although he didin't have a clue who she really was. I'll put a quote at the very end of this review, so you can see.

She doesn't fight her feelings for Ben very hard, or for very long. It was a little hard to believe she had her walls up, since she loved so easily.

The ending made me go, "Oh! I get it now! Okay. That was pretty clever. I got it." I liked the ending, despite what other people said. I am so looking forward to the next book.

Quotes! (Yes, this is probably a one time thing. Then again, maybe not.):

. "Slow down, sweetness. Let me get my hands around your ankle and we'll see if you can fly." (Jay 10)
Creepy. Romeo. This guy is seriously damaged, and I'm pretty sure that this is the only line in the book that made me do a double take.

"I don't care about the window!" he says, slamming his palm on the steering wheel. "I care about you!'
"You don't even know me!" My voice hits a sharp note that rings in the silence. (Jay
Told you I'd put a quote from Ariel and Ben's first meeting. That escalated quickly.

"Yes, talk. Chat. Have  . . . verbal intercourse?" He winks, and I fight the urge to show him what I think of him with my middle finger. (Jay 96)
Another creepy Romeo quote. Already starting to dislike him? Just a little bit?


Did I like it? LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!
Would I reread it? Yes!
Would I recommend it? Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment