Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate




There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


Rating Scale (1-10): 6 Yeah, I realize I'm being a little unfair

My review: Despite the absolutely gorgeous cover, the fabulous title, the high ratings from other authors and my friends, I just really didn't like this book.

Then again, I do acknowledge my unjustness because it's kind of sort of my fault that I didn't enjoy it. Mainly because there were so many distractions around me. I had a few books on my shelf I was just itching to get my hands on. Like theMatched trilogy, Firelight, and Pushing the Limits were just mocking me whenever I tried to read Fallen. However, I am willing to give this book another chance in the future. So yeah.

A few parts in this book were definitely made of awesome. The author really captivated me with Daniel and Luce's relationship. I absolutely positively LOVE them together. But, overall? I just couldn't get into this book.

Even in the first chapter, I was pretty bored (except when Daniel appeared, of course). Then again, not many books I've read are all that appealing in the first chapter. But it was different in this book---I just really couldn't understand what was really going on. I'm not sure that the author's writing was captivating enough.

Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't a negative review.

I loved the story behind the creatures and the characters in this book. Also, this book definitely falls into the genre of my favorite books and I'm definitely going to watch the movie when it comes out in theaters. But then . . . you know. (Probably not, but I'm just going to assume you do..)

Anyways, I really have nothing left to say. I tried to pay as much attention as I could, but then I found my mind wandering off and . . . yeah.

Did I like this book? Not really, but I plan to give it another chance.
Would I reread it? Yup.
Would I recommend it? Yes. Just so you can get a taste of what I'm talking about.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hm, this one's been lying in my book drawers (since I don't have a shelf -sobs-) for a long time. We shall see....

    ReplyDelete