Friday, January 18, 2013

Book Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan






A hidden truth.

Mortal enemies.

Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping awayif it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that.
Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.


Rating Scale (1-10): 9

My Review: I've been waiting to read it for a while now. Ever since I saw it and read the summary, I just had to have it. (I'm kind of going through this phase where I'm reading books that I've been wanting to read for a LONG LONG time.) Anyways, this book was great. No, I take that back. It was freaking fantastic! I totally loved the idea and everything else. I love dragons, which was just made of awesome! And even better, the romance was exactly perfect. I'll talk about that later on.

Okay, so the protagonist goes through many external and internal conflicts. She's really strong and persistent, but she's one of those main characters that you can't help but be annoyed with. Back to the conflicts--her internal conflict is what she really wants; she can't decide. While her external conflicts are her mother and twin sister. Jacinda is trying her best to make them happy, but they just her to be exactly like them. Human. They want her inner Draki to wither and die so she can live like a normal human being. But she doesn't want to. Her Draki is a part of her. And she doesn't want to give it up. That's really what I admire about her. No matter what, she never let's her Draki die. If she did, I would be ranting right now about how I cannot stand her! But fortunately, that's not the case.

So the romance is a kind of a love at first sight mixed in with that too forward romance. But it wasn't too forward that I got annoyed with the entire relationship. In other words, the romance in this book was JUST RIGHT! I was so extremely pleased with the romance.

I realize that this book is supposed to be a love triangle. But who in their right mind would fall in love with Cassian?! Unless I'm totally wrong, and he turns super-hot-and-nice-and-lovable in books 2 & 3. I guess I'll have to wait and see! Even if I'm not his biggest fan right now, I still LOVE his name! But for now, I'm sticking to TEAM WILL. I love him.

So yeah, that's it!

Did I like this book? Um, this book had dragons! I freaking LOVED it!
Would I reread it? OMG YES!
Would I recommend it? Most definitely! Go get this now!

No comments:

Post a Comment