Monday, January 21, 2013

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass




For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10!

My Review: I still can't believe it's taken me this long to read this book! I'm SO ashamed of myself right now! That cover is gorgeous! Did you see it? Look at it! I'd give my left thumb for that dress! This book is fan-flipping-tastic (I saw this in another book and have been using it ever since)! Oh Mary, mother of baby Jesus. There aren't enough adjectives in the world to describe how fabulicious this book is.

At first, I only wanted to read this book because of the cover. LOL, it just makes it look so damn interesting! Then I read an amazing review, and from that point on, I was ALL in. This book was everything I wanted and so much MORE.

Ever since I finished it, I have labeled this book as my second favorite dystopian novel. Right after Delirium and before Matched. Yes. It was just THAT fantastic!

Halfway through reading, I realized that The Selection reminded me a lot of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Not that they die when they're eliminated, but the fact they do get eliminated and there can only be one winner at the end.

From this point on, I am totally in love with dystopian novels. I love love love them! And I love love triangles. Most of the time. Sometimes I just want to punch people in the face.

Anyways, I love that the author teaches her readers a moral in her story. In Illéa, everyone has a different caste. A caste is their, kind of like, rating in the society. The moral was, that the person's personality is not defined by what the society labels them. Ones are the most powerful while Eights are below homeless or something like that.n

America Singer, the protagonist of the story, is really likable and so strong. I loved her stubborn-ness. Definitely one of my favorite female protagonists.

Character Discussions! Woot!

America Singer: I was a little on the fence about her name in the beginning, but I really love it now! It's like a historical reminder of the country's past. She made me laugh a few times, she's pretty funny!

Maxon: I LOVE HIS NAME! He is nothing like I expected at all. He is sooo good and sweet and gorgeous and charming and nice and . . . I'm totally Team Maxon! I've always loved a good prince ;)

Aspen: At first, I was SO in love with this guy, now it's just like, "No. Go away. I don't like you anymore." He really loved America, but then he screwed it all up. So that led to . . . TA DA! TEAM MAXON! Also, I wouldn't mind so much if he dropped off the face of the planet.

Marlee: This girl is such a sweetheart. I loved her.

Celeste: Two words: Total. Bitch.

Queen (I forgot her name, I think it was Amberly, but I can't be sure): She seemed really nice and I hope we get to see more of her in the next book.

King Clarkson: Every time I see his name, I automatically think of Kelly Clarkson. Is that bad?


So I visited the author's website while I was reading The Selection and found that its going to be a TV show! Yup, you read right! A TV show! It premieres this summer, I think. I'm so excited!

Did I like this book? Beautiful writing, amazing characters, unique plot . . . I am so in love with this book! I'd marry it if I could! (Too far?)
Would I reread it? Yes! All my favorite parts!
Would I recommend it? Go buy this now! You'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment