Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking





When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…

Rating Scale (1-10): 8

My Review: Let's just take a couple seconds to admire the prettiness of that cover. . . . Okay, you can keep reading now. I love all of Amanda Hocking's books, so when Switched came out, I was more than willing to read it. The blurb in the back just got me even more interested than I already was. The first chapter instantly got me hooked! I read this book in over a day and a half (it would've been shorter but I had to do things like sleep and eat).

I loved the creatures she used in this book. I don't want to give away what they are exactly, but they're creatures we've all heard of. I'm pretty sure that if you read this, and you find out what the creatures are, you'll be like, "Oh! Well, that's interesting!" Okay, well, maybe not exactly like that, but you get what I'm trying to say.

The bonus story confused me a little bit. Mostly I was just wondering who the hell these people were. But it was very entertaining and I knew I was going to be seeing more of these characters.

Finn Holmes, who is there to help Wendy to adjust to her new life and help her understand what she is, frustrated me to no end. You know those bipolar guys who are the sweetest guy one minute, then are the biggest douchebag in the world? Yeah, that's Finn. Sure, he has a reason, but as the story continues, it sounds more like an excuse. At the end, I actually did learn to like Finn, but I was still a little on edge about him.

Wendy Everly was by far my favorite character throughout the entire story. She was incredibly stubborn and wouldn't take no for an answer. Despite all she does, people really don't like her, but she doesn't let it hit too close to home. She lives with her Aunt and her big brother Matt.

Matt is the big, bad, protective brother that wouldn't dare let a fly touch Wendy. After their mother tried to kill Wendy, Matt took on the role as the parent. He was my second favorite, because he just wants to protect his little sister.

Point is, I loved this book! It was all very unique and I was more than willing to read the last two books in this trilogy.

Did I like this book? Um, no. I loved it!
Would I reread it? Definitely.
Would I recommend it? Yes! Why are you still reading this? Go buy it now!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment