Thursday, January 24, 2013

Interview with Joann I. Martin Sowles (author of the Brookehaven Vampire Series)




I'm so excited! There really are no words to explain how excited I am. Joann is fantastic author and I am so completely head over heels in love with her books! And! And! And she is so very fantabulous that she agreed to do an interview with me! Yeah. You can imagine my reaction! I was like the energizer bunny on crack for the rest of the day. So, if you haven't read Joann's book Laney, I'll post the link to goodreads at the end of the interview . . . And if you have read it, then you already know she's amazing.

1. Tell us about the Brookehaven Vampires Series in 10 words or less.
A world of realistic and fascinating vampires within our own.

2. When did you first realize you wanted to become a writer and publish
books?
Writing had been in my mind for a few years before I wrote and published Laney. I had an idea (one that is still growing) and I wrote down a few notes, but I never did anything with it except think about it often. I didn't have the confidence to write, I truly didn't think I could do it and I worried about what to do with the end project too much. So I pushed it aside. A few years later I had another idea. Something sparked and Laney was born. I once again wrote down a few notes but the same fears where still there. Then one day I just decided that I'd rather look back at my life someday and be thankful that I had tried rather than regret I never did. Laney grew stronger and stronger until it was easy to write her story.

3. Do you ever turn on music while writing or do you need absolute silence
to get the ideas flowing?
In the beginning I needed complete silence in order to write, but now I always have music playing. I have to in order to block out the noise from the rest of the house. ;)

4. How many books are going to be in the BHV series?
I do not have a set number of books for the series but I can say there will be at least seven to tell Laney's story.

5. Who is your favorite character in the series?
Oh, wow... There's no way I could choose just one. I love so many of them for so many different reasons. For example: Carter is hilarious and has the best personality. Then there's Laney who I just love because of who she is. Felix is great because there is so much to him. Julz is wonderful because she's unpredictable and broken. Even Oscar fascinates me. But then there's Oliver. Sigh. Oh, Oliver. He's like every perfect thing rolled into one ridiculously perfect package. So, as you can see, I'd have a difficult time choosing just one, but I might be a little bias. ;)

6. Are you and Laney alike in any way?
Hmm... I don't really think so but some of my friends tell me that they totally hear me in her when they read the books. I did not intend for us to be alike, but I imagine it's only natural each character you create would have a piece of you.

7. How did you choose the names for your characters?
Laney's name has always been one of my favorites, but most of the other names I use just come to me as the character is created. Sometimes I'll even create a character around a name I like. I think the only names I ever had trouble with where the Knight children. It took me a while to decide on their names. Once I decided the boys' younger sister's name was going to be Olivia, Oscar and Oliver's names were easy.

8. Describe Oliver Knight in 3 words.
In only three? Hmm... Caring, attentive, gorgeous...

9. Which character from BHV would you love to spend the day with?
Ooh... If I could chose only one of my characters to spend the day with I think I would choose Carter. I think he'd be a lot of fun.

10. What's your favorite quote from Laney?
Two are quick to pop into my mind. The first is from a scene in Darkness (book 2) when Oliver and Laney are saying their good-byes before Oliver has to leave for the day, "My body was like butter then. If he had let go of me, I'm positive I would've just hit the floor in a pool of Laney." - ~Laney, Darkness.
The second is from Tainted Blood (book 3), when Professor Morgan is talking to Laney about possible career paths. She is comparing teaching and writing and I find her questions at the end of her thought very amusing. "I wasn't sure teaching was for me. Kiera was in the works to becoming an elementary teacher and that seemed to suit her. I didn't think it was for me. Writing, on the other hand, seemed more interesting. But what would I write about? My life? Who would want to read that?"


11. Do you have any advice for new writers looking to become authors?
Write for yourself. Don't worry about what others will think of your work. All that matters is that you love what you write. Also, don't worry about how you're going to publish, or what your cover will look like, or any of that final stuff until the end. Focus on your writing, you'll be happy you did.

12. Is there anything you would like to say to your readers and fans?
I would love to thank all who have taken the time to read this interview and I would like to especially thank you, Alexis for the great interview and thank you for loving my books and the BHV world. It means so much. Also, for those of you who are interested, feel free to visit my website and get to know the BHV characters and even read sneak peeks of the books. www.BrookehavenVampires.com

Randomness:
Green eyes or brown? Hmm...It all depends on the fella. ;)

Dinner in or out? Dinner in.

M&M or Skittles? That would depend on my mood.

Batman or Superman? Superman!

Mountains or ocean? Ocean.

Vampires or humans? Vampires ;)

Link to Laney here!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the fun interview!
    Much love to you, Alexis.
    ~Joann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you too! It was awesome!!
      Stay fabulous!

      Delete