Thursday, February 7, 2013

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer




Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10

My Review: This book. Was just. Sooooo amazing. A retelling of Cinderella as a Cyborg?! Genius. There was this review on the inside jacket of the cover that said that this book was a cross between Cinderella, the Terminator, and Star Wars. They couldn't have been more right! Cinder was just plain awesome! Normally, I'm not a big fan of third-person point of view stories, but I found myself loving every single second of this book.

I just am so in love with that cover, by the way! I thought it represented the entire book perfectly! Gorgeous!

Random Statement: I really want my own android robot. That just sounds like a lot of fun.

Cinder was my favorite type of protagonist. Sort of. She didn't stand up for herself as much as I would've liked, but she was still pretty cool. I loved her sass and her sarcasm, it made her a likable character. Well, for me, that is.

Prince Kai was so swoony! He was just the picture perfect definition of Prince Charming! Oh, and I LOVE his name! Kaito! (I think that's his name idk I don't have the book anymore.) Aw, major major swoon. I've been seeing that name in a lot of books lately. Anything with Kai. It could be spelled differently or longer, but there is always a Kai.

The setting in Cinder was futuristic and epic! There are always some robot form in every chapter. My favorite android was Iko because she was just funny. Plus she had a huge celebrity crush on Prince Kai! LOL

That cliffhanger in the end was horrible. Yes, there's a cliffhanger. And also, although I didn't hate Kai, he really had me super pissed. There was also that huge surprise reveal at the end that just makes your eyes widen and gasp. The entire time I was dancing around my room singing, "I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!" Because I just . . . did. I always have some kind of suspicions during these kinds of books. Some things I just know.

Despite those suspicions, I was still really surprised!

Did I like this book? LOVED! AMAZING!
Would I reread it? Once I get my own copy, yes!
Would I recommend it? Definitely! If you're having any doubts about Cinder, remove them now and go buy this book!

2 comments: