Monday, February 4, 2013

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth




In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10!!!

Okay, before my review, I feel like I have to explain myself a little. I finished Divergent about a little more than a week ago, and I haven't posted my review because I came down with that nasty flu that's been going around. Although "Death" might be a better name for it. I was out of school for a week. A freaking week. Normally I would've enjoyed not being at school for that long, but when you're sick, you'd rather be in school. Anyways, sorry for my unnecessary ranting, now onto the review!!

My Review: People say that dystopian books are all the same. But that is not true. This book. Was. Soooooo amazingly good! I loved it! I've known about this book for a long time now, because I guess I just thought I wouldn't like it. But . . . boy, was I wrong!

Divergent just screams action, adventure, and courage. It was just so completely fabulous that it blew my mind! I really loved this because it wasn't too far-fetched and unbelievable. It made it seem like, at sometime in the future, all this could actually happen. There was enough imagination and fantasy to keep you hooked into the story.

The best of the entire book (aside from all the cool training and everything) was the romance! Duh, the romance! That's what makes the romance part awesome! Sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense. LOL. Anyways, fallin in love with Four is just natural! I mean, how could you not?! He was amazing! From the moment he was introduced, I knew he was going to be a very important part of the story. Tris immediately felt a connection between them and I ate up every single second of their time together!

Tris was such an awesome and I liked her right away. She has definitely made my list of Top 10 Heroines. Tris doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the group, but she's determined to make sure people remember her. She was strong and brave and caring and just plain amazing. I absolutely can't wait to read more of her in the next book.

That's it!

Did I like this book? yes! Pining for Insurgent!
Would I reread it? Once I pry it from my friends grabby hands!
Would I recommend it? If you haven't read it already, give Divergent a shot! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment