Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Review: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver




"So what was your name before?" I say, and she freezes, her back to me. "Before you came to the Wilds, I mean."

For a moment she stands there.

Then she turns around.

"You might as well get used to it now," she says with quite intensity.

"Everything you were, the life you had, the people you knew... dust."

She shakes her head and says, a little more firmly, "There is no before. There is only now, and what comes next."

After falling in love, Lena and Alex flee their oppressive society where love is outlawed and everyone must receive the "cure" - an operation that makes them immune to the delirium of love - but Lena alone manages to find her way to a community of resistance fighters. Although she is bereft without the boy she loves, her struggles seem to be leading her toward a new love.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10!

My Review: I'm going to cry. Like a baby. Like a FREAKING baby! No. That ending. Just no. I'm pretty much hyperventilating while writing this. I'm pretty sure Lauren Oliver loves to torture her readers in ways no other authors would. I threw the book. No. I LITERALLY threw the book at the wall. (The book's okay. Nothing was hurt. Well, maybe except for the wall. Those hardcover books are tough.) I'm angry and I want to cry. And now I feel like flippin' some tables. (If you're reading this, Liana, you were so right.) This is basically what I feel like:



Fury is an understatement to what I'm feeling right now. Yeah, I might be acting a little over dramatic right now, but I. Don't. Care. Now I know why I took this long to read it.

Okay, so the next book in this series, Requiem, comes out next week and I'm sooo happy! It is a definite MUST-BUY! Pandemonium has you holding onto every single word of every single page! Omg why did it end like that?! (And there I go ranting again.)

There was so much more action in this book than there was in Delirium. There was more romance (and it was wrong, wrong, wrong) and definitely more surprising twists and turns. The characters were amazing and well-written. Some of them had their moments where they needed a good smack upside the head, but other than that, I enjoyed most of them. I can safely say that Lauren Oliver is one of my favorite authors and the Delirium series is on my Top Ten Favorite Reads.

Lena became a more stronger character in this book. I actually liked her this time. And while I liked her in Delirium, I think she was just a lot better in Pandemonium. She learned how to survive in the Wilds, and she made friends. Kinda sorta. Most of the people were nice to her. The old Lena died when she escaped her old home. And the new Lena starts over in the Wilds. She tries to make the most of it.

The only thing I really didn't like (read: I HATED) was that Lena falls in love with the wrong guy. And seriously, he is the WRONG guy. When they were kissing, I just wanted to cry and slap her. I'm pretty sure I did cry. Idk I forgot. I finished Pandemonium, like, a couple days and my head is still reeling. At the end, I basically had a heart attack. My grandma was just looking at me, like, "What the hell is wrong with her?"

My very random statement: Is it weird of me to really want that umbrella that Tack gave Lena? It seems like it could be useful. Like if someone breaks into my house or something.

I was a little confused at the beginning because the chapters alternated between NOW and THEN. It tells Lena's past and present. Yeah, it's confusing, but you'll get it. Oh, by the way, the Invalids' names are the best! I absolutely love them because they're unique and creative! There was this one guy and I thought his name was a little . . . weird. His name was Squirrel. And the entire time I'm just like, "What kind of name is Squirrel?" Whatever. Just wanted to get that out there.

That is all! Go read a good book!

1 comment: