Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Book Review: Graceling by Kristin Cashore




In a world where people born with an extreme skill—called a Grace—are feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of the skill even she despises: the Grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

When she first meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.

She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.


Rating Scale (1-10): 9.5

My Review: So, normally a book would take me a minimum of 2 days to finish, regardless of the size. Maybe even less. But since school has been pretty hectic lately, it took me at least 2 and a half weeks to read Graceling. And I loved every moment of those two and a half weeks. (Well, not EVERY moment, only the parts where I was reading.) I read this book because it was a recommendation from a fellow book blogger friend and I had heard some pretty fabulous things about it, so I thought, "Hey! I'll give it a shot!" Now that I've read it, I'm so happy I've done so.

I love the whole medieval history setting that takes place throughout the book. I loved reading about the castles and the kings and queens (though there were a couple kings I wasn't particularly fond of). I can't explain why I love the old-timey era but it just seems cool!

Okay, so, before there was a Katniss Everdeen, there was Katsa. Who is a lot better at archery than our beloved Hunger Games heroine. (That's really the only thing I found in common with the both of them lol.) She's been Graced will the skill to kill a man since she was eight-years-old. Katsa is a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land who are born with an extreme skill. Like, readings minds, art, intelligence, and a lot of other things. Her uncle is Randa, King of the Middluns. He has a kingdom, an heir, and a "lady killer." Katsa is forced to work as his thug. Whenever the King has a problem with someone, Katsa is the one that does all the dirty work.

I have to say that Katsa is definitely the ideal heroine that I love to read about. She's strong, she can defend herself pretty well, and she doesn't take crap from anybody.

Besides Katsa, Prince Po is my second favorite character. He was just amazing and amusing and I loved him. He challenged Katsa in ways that no one could ever have. He definitely wasn't the type of Prince I was expecting, but he's definitely the prince that I fell in love with.

My Random Statement: For some reason I picture Po with a lot of hoop earrings in his ears. I don't know, kind of like a gypsy. I'm not sure why, but that's what I see in my head.

I'm actually pretty excited to read the next book in the Graceling Realm series though I'm not sure which is next. I think it's Fire, but maybe it could be Bitterblue. Whatever. I'll figure it out.

Anyways! I loved this book! It was just the right amount of action, romance, and ass-kicking I needed!

Did I like this book? Yep! Loved!
Would I reread it? Yeah, probably.
Would I recommend it? To the right person, yes I would.

1 comment: