Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen






Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

Rating Scale (1-10): 7

My Review: So, just a heads up, this review is not going to be like my other ones. This particular review I am writing for a grade in my English class. Bear with me, people. Okay, so, right off the bat, after all the review and the hype and the reputation that this book has, I was expecting it to be a forget-to-feed-your-kids-and-screw-doing-your-homework one sit read. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it just wasn't my type of book.

There really wasn't a problem and the climax isn't really a climax, but other than that, I guess I'd say it was pretty good. I do have to admit that I watched the movie to understand it a bit more since I didn't really get some of the vocabulary most of the time. Lol, yes it is written in plain English, but it's like an old-timey English.

Character Discussions!

Elizabeth Bennet: The protagonist absolutely deserving of the title. She was witty, independent, funny, smart, and definitely my favorite character in the book. She speaks her mind and is honest about what she thinks. She doesn't sugarcoat things, which is what I love most about her.

Mr. Darcy: At first, I thought he was a total douche that will never find love because he thought he was better than everyone else. And that was because of his social ranking and how much money he had. According to the book, he was intelligent (which he has to be, if he wanted to keep up with Elizabeth), and he usually judges people a little too harshly. In the very beginning, he insulted Elizabeth! But, eventually, he becomes like able and he can love Elizabeth forever and ever!

Jane Bennet: Jane is Elizabeth's older sister, which makes her the eldest sibling of all 5. She is made out to be the most beautiful of all the sisters. She's a lot quieter and gentler than Elizabeth.

Mr. Bingley: This is Mr. Darcy's best friend, who is also very wealthy. He falls in love with Jane and they get married and live happily ever after. He was an okay character. No problems with him.

Mr. Collins: Ehmergerd, this guy. He was so annoying and idiotic. In the movie, he was short, and ugly, and pretty much clueless. And that's basically how I pictured him in my head.

Themes are something I normally don't do, but for this review, I'll make an exception. Especially if I want a good grade. Okay, so, love and social status are major themes in Pride and Prejudice. Like in any good love story, the main character and the love interest have to overcome obstacles so that they can finally be happy together. And Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy definitely have plenty of obstacles. But of course, as we all know and as we, bookaholics read about, LOVE CONQUERS EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!

Social Status is a very important theme. Mainly because Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley are so high up on the social scale and everyone else might as well sleep in a barn. Like I said about Mr. Darcy before, he was pretty conceited. He thought himself above everyone else.

Pride and Prejudice was published in 1813, about 2 years after Jane Austen's first novel, Sense and Sensibility. Austen published 4 more novels after that: Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, and Persuasion. The last 2 were published a year after her death. She published her novels anonymously, so obviously, that didn't make her a popular author at the time.

Jane Austen was born on December 16, 1775 and died on July 18, 1817. All of her novels were mostly romance. Her most popular are Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility.

My Random Statement: I know I didn't mention her in the character discussions, but I just have to say that I can't stand the youngest Bennet sister! That is all.

My Favorite Quotes:

"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."
That is so not true! Marriage is not all we think about!

"Angry people are not always wise."
Amen to that!

"A person may be proud without being vain."
Yes, don't be so vain.

"To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love."
I can't explain why I like this quote. I just do.

"I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh."
Smiling and laughing can mean different things, you know.

Did I like this book? Yes, it was okay.
Would I reread it? Only if I was forced to.
Would I recommend it? Not to anyone I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment