Friday, March 22, 2013

Book Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver + Alex short story




They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10!!!

My Review: Wow. Just wow. I think I need a moment. Or maybe a month, just to get over everything that happened in this book. If you haven't read the first book in this series, Delirium, then this review will definitely not make any sense. And if you haven't read Pandemonium, then don't read the rest of this review. Or read at your own risk. Whatever. Because this book is just SO FREAKING FABULOUS that I had to put the book down for a few minutes and stare at it. As if I couldn't believe what just happened happened.

The cover is just absolutely gorgeous! And red! Now that I've finished the book, I have to say that the cover and the color just fit perfectly. I have to admit that I must have read the back of the book and the inside jacket cover over a thousand times. IT'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL! Look at it! Ehmergerd! Ehmerferkingerd! Okay. I'm done.

Let me tell you one thing that Requiem never ran out of: Drama. There was drama in every word, every sentence, every chapter. So the book is told in two different POVs, Hana's and Lena's. At first, I wondered why Hana had such a major part in the book, and then I found out that she actually WAS a huge part of the story. She was important, and she turned out to be interesting. When readers were sick and tired and frustrated with Lena's everlasting drama, Hana was the perfect getaway. Lena was strong and independent and really changed throughout the entire series. Which I loved a lot. Yeah, at times she irritated me to no end, but she actually turned out to be one of my favorite type of protagonists.

I have one thing to say about all the characters. There were times during the book, that I hated every single one of them. Someone was always being annoying, being overly bossy, being unbelievably stubborn, or being a huge dick.

Okay, so. Character Discussions!

I basically already did Lena and Hana so . . . yeah.

Alex: Most of the time he was just a giant dickhead and I wanted to punch him in the face. But he's changed. No matter how much he tried to hide the sadness or the anger or the regret, the old Alex is still there. Even through the words, I could see how much he still cared for Lena. It matter how much he ignored her, or told her things that pissed me off, he still loved her.

Raven: She may be a little bossy sometimes, but she was one of my favorite characters. She was a leader. I'm excited to buy the Delirium short stories and read all about her!

Julian: In Pandemonium I did not like this guy one bit, but I have to admit that he grew on me a little. Throughout the entire book, he was there for Lena. He gave her support. When Lena asked for time, he gave it to her.

Coral: As much as I don't really like her, I love her name. She ended up to be okay in the end, but at the beginning . . . Yeah. No. I didn't like her at all.

Fred: Nope. Don't even get me started on this guy.

As much as I loved the book, I hated the ending. I expected something different. Something better. Like, what happened 5 or even 10 years later after everything. I kind of wanted to read about Lena and so-and-so living in a house together and happy. How Hana turned out. What happened to the other characters. Don't get me wrong, Lauren Oliver's writing is beautiful and fantastic, but the way she ended the story just left me with more questions than answers.

My Favorite Quote(s): "How can someone have the power to shatter you to dust---and also to make you feel so whole?"

"But maybe happiness isn't in the choosing. Maybe it's in the fiction, in the pretending: that wherever we have ended up is where we intended to be all along."

My Random Statement: For this review, it's just going to be one word. BEAUTIFUL!

Alex Short Story

Reading from Alex's POV made me cry. I love Alex so much, he makes such a great love interest. It was amazing to read about how much he loved her and how the hope of just finding her again gave him hope. He was such a wonderful character and I'm glad I was able to see into his past. The sexy mysterious guy wasn't so mysterious anymore ;) in a good way though! It made me love him more (if that's even possible)!

Short story, really short review!

My Favorite Quote(s): "And how she looked at me like I could save her from everything bad in the world.
This was my secret: she was the one who saved me."

"Because I knew, sooner or later, I'd get to her."

"How did I love her?
Let me count the ways."

Did I like this book? Loved! Except for the end. But other than that, LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!
Would I reread it? Yep!
Would I recommend it? If you've read Delirium and Pandemonium, then yes! It is a MUST-READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment