Sunday, March 17, 2013

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi




Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.


Rating Scale (1-10): 8

My Review: Wow. This book was actually better than I expected. I had read a lot of reviews saying how "AMAZING" this book was, and it was really good, but I wouldn't say it was ehmergerd amazing! I'm not sure why I gave it an 8. Probably because there were parts I liked, parts I loved, parts I didn't like, and there were parts that I didn't even know what to think of.

There was so much about this book that confused the hell out of me. Like, how are the Pods on the inside? How can they live up to 200 years by doing absolutely nothing? How the hell can they fly? How do they sleep? Apparently, due to where these people live inside the compound (they don't actually call it that in the book, but that's the word I'm using, so get over it) they don't sweat, girls don't get their periods, etc.. And how do does that robot eye thing work anyway? Is it kind of like a Terminator kind of thing but just less red and you can pretend your on the other side of the world in someplace beautiful? I don't even know.

The story was really unique, though. I liked that. The setting was amazing and I enjoyed reading about it most of the time. I pictured the characters mostly in normal backgrounds. Like the woods, in a cave, Marron's home. But then the story would take a twist and they'd be in a Pod or in an Aether storm and I couldn't picture anymore and I'd be confused.

The characters were very well-written and I loved them. It was difficult to like Aria in the beginning, because she was naïve and paranoid and weak and I just didn't really like her. Towards the end of the book, she eventually grew on me. She grew into a strong, independent, a little bit of an ass-kicking, kind of protagonist that I love.

Perry, I loved right away. Though he seemed to have a bit of an anger problem. I wouldn't say that he's made the top of My Hottest Book Boyfriends, but he would probably be on that list. Maybe somewhere towards the bottom. But on the list, no less. Perry has some serious family issues. In his tribe, his older brother is the Blood Lord, both of his parents are dead, his sister-in-law died from an illness that has now affected his adorable 7 year old nephew, and he's fighting the urge to challenge his brother for the role of Blood Lord. Yeah, he definitely has issues.

The romance between them was a little bit iffy. It was the type of romance where it's I-HATE-YOU-THEN-WE'RE-KINDA-SORTA-FRIENDS-THEN-LET'S-FALL-IN-LOVE-TOGETHER kind of romance. It wasn't ideal but I did end up rooting for them all throughout the book.

My Favorite Quote: "A world of nevers under a never sky." (Page 92)

My Random Statement: Aria really needed to take a chill pill. She freaked out over the stupidest things at times. She acted like Perry would give her herpes or something just by touching her arm.

Did I like this book? Yes.
Would I reread it? Hmmmm maybe.
Would I recommend it? Probably. Depends on who I'm recommending it to.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this book was great! I thought the sequel was even better! I think you'll really enjoy it :). I agree with that point about not really fully understand everything with the pods and stuff. It was pretty confusing!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete