Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review: Unremembered by Jessica Brody




When Freedom Airlines flight 121 went down over the Pacific Ocean, no one ever expected to find survivors. Which is why the sixteen-year-old girl discovered floating among the wreckage—alive—is making headlines across the globe.

Even more strange is that her body is miraculously unharmed and she has no memories of boarding the plane. She has no memories of her life before the crash. She has no memories period. No one knows how she survived. No one knows why she wasn’t on the passenger manifest. And no one can explain why her DNA and fingerprints can’t be found in a single database in the world.

Crippled by a world she doesn’t know, plagued by abilities she doesn’t understand, and haunted by a looming threat she can’t remember, Seraphina struggles to piece together her forgotten past and discover who she really is. But with every clue only comes more questions. And she’s running out of time to answer them.

Her only hope is a strangely alluring boy who claims to know her from before the crash. Who claims they were in love. But can she really trust him? And will he be able to protect her from the people who have been making her forget?

From popular young adult author Jessica Brody comes a compelling and suspenseful new sci-fi series, set in a world where science knows no boundaries, memories are manipulated, and true love can never be forgotten.


Rating Scale (1-10): 7

My Review: I won Unremembered from The Irish Banana and when UPS dropped it off on Thursday, I just couldn't contain my excitement. I ripped into the package like a hungry wolf. My seven-year-old cousin just looked at me all weird and said, "You're crazy." Lol, anyways! Onto the review!

I had such high hopes for this book, because I read the blurb and it sounded really cool. I had already been making up scenarios in my head and they were all really action-packed and heart-stopping. Sure, there were some exciting moments in the book, but not exactly what I expected. It was actually kind of disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it was good, I liked it, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

The cover is what first intrigued me. It's beautiful! I loved it! The face on the cover is who I pictured as Seraphina during the entire book. Yeah, it's blurry, but I still loved it.

Character Discussions!

Seraphia/Sera/Violet: So, Seraphina is like the most perfect human being ever created. She was a cool character, despite the fact that she is pretty much clueless throughout the entire book. But! But! She is like a walking dictionary, calculator, and translator mixed into one supermodel. The one thing that was annoying when it came to her was that nearly every single person that came into contact with Sera told her she was unbelievably beautiful. It got to the point where I was just like, "Okay! I get it! She's gorgeous! Can we please move on?!" Other than that, she was a pretty good protagonist. By the way, I LOVE her name!

Lyzender/Zen: Like almost every book I've read, I pictured an incredibly hot guy as Zen. I love his name. Not his whole name, but his nickname, which is "Zen." He was cool, and brave, and I liked him. I don't have many words for Zen, other than he truly loves Seraphina. I can't wait to read more about him in the next book.

Cody: This kid made me laugh or smile a few times. He's nerdy, but it's kind of cute. And when I say cute, I mean like he-could-be-my-little-brother cute. Oh! And he's Seraphina's foster brother.

Alixter: Weird name, but pretty unique. I like it. Props to the author. This guy is the man antagonist and I did not like him one bit. Bastard, bastard, bastard.

Rio: At first, I thought that he was a bad guy, too, but it turned that he has always been trying to protect Sera and he loves her like a daughter. He was coolio.

So, like I said before, there wasn't much action in this book. Although it did keep me interested, because I felt like I was putting together a puzzle along with our protagonist Sera. The plot was interesting and mysterious. Because I knew what was going on and I knew the danger, but at the same time I didn't. Lol did that make any sense? Okay. Let me put it this way: whenever I was given an answer to one of my bazillions of questions, it only caused more questions to be asked.

Like many people, and unlike some, I loved the twist at the end. It was a cliffhanger, but it was a good kind of cliffhanger. One that will keep you satisfied with the ending yet still have you itching for the sequel.

So, I liked the book, but it definitely could've been better. Jessica Brody is an awesome author that has the power to suck you in with each chapter. I definitely will be picking up the next book in the series which is called Unforgotten, I think. When it comes out next year. I think. Lol.

My Random Statement: Seraphina is freakishly fluent in Portuguese, Russian, AND French! Why can't I be like that? I want ear for cool languages. So unfair.

My Favorite Quotes: ""So you're bitter," I confirm. "At pretty girls.""
(This just made me laugh for no particular reason!)

"You told me I was your soulmate."

Did I like this book? Yes. Yes,I did.
Would I reread it? Hmmmmm . . . Maybe.
Would I recommend it? If it sounds interesting to you, then yeah. I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment