Friday, April 19, 2013

Book Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter






She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10

My Review: I love this book so much! I've already read it, like last year, but for you guys, I reread it because I love you. Yes, you. Everything I do on here is for you (and okay, let's face it, it does give me some satisfaction). By reading Alice in Zombieland over again, I remembered why I loved it so much. Because every part is just made of awesome! I love Gena Showalter's writing! I know for sure that I'm definitely going to start reading more of her books after this.

So, the cover! The gorgeous, amazing cover that drew me in at right away! It was like love at first sight. And, okay, I'm going to be honest, the only reason I bought it at first was because of the title and the cover. Like I said before, I've already read this, on my nook, before I had a blog, which is why there isn't a review for it. But this past Saturday, I went to Barnes & Noble and I saw this is book, in all it's glory, sitting on the shelf just waiting for me to buy it! And since my mom loves me sooo very much, she bought it for me! I think I might've squealed when I took it home. But yeah! I love this cover so much and it's so much prettier in person!

The action and plot! Oh, the heart-stopping action and the amazingly well-written plot! I loved all the fighting and the zombies definitely get their asses handed to them on more than one occasion. The zombie slayers (I love saying that) can kick some serious zombie and human ass. No, really. Humans wouldn't dare mess with them, either. The action consists of the slayers and the zombies fighting each other, but also the fight-training the slayers do. Which was also awesome, by the way. The plot was fast-paced, but not too fast that it got the point where I wanted everything to slow down and stop for a second. It was perfectly paced and never left a dull moment.

The romance! The wonderful romance! There were definitely some hot, steamy romance moments that go on in this book, and can't I tell you, I loved every second of it! Cole and Ali just belong together. They almost you know in a club. Which seemed a little tiny bit forward, but whatever. They're both awesome and they're amazing together. They both know how to kick some serious zombie ass.

Character Discussions! Yippee!



Alice Bell/Ali: Ever since the night of the car crash that killed her family, Alice no longer wants to be called Alice. At her new school, her new town, she has everyone call her Ali. She is my favorite type of protagonist. She don't need no hero! She is her hero. She is funny, witty, snarky, and one bad-ass fighter! I'm excited to see more of her!


Cole Holland: If you haven't noticed already, there is a Cole button on my right side bar. Go ahead. Look at it. You done? Okay, great. I love Cole! He is the baddest of bad boys, the kind of guy your dad will gladly put a shotgun to for just talking to you. I'm talking piercings and lots of tattoos. It's okay, he's hella sexy. And I just love the way he cares for Ali and would do anything to keep her safe.

Kat: This is Ali's best friend. Also known as Princess Fluffy. Lol I'm just kidding. That was just the nickname Ali told Kat that she was going to call her from now on. Kat is the Cheshire Cat, well, at least that's what I came up with. She literally was the funniest person in the entire book. She cracked me up so much that I would love life if she were my best friend.

Frosty: Weird name, I know, but it's unique and I like it. Its a nickname btw. Everyone has a nickname in this book. Almost everyone actually. Anyways, Frosty is like Cole's right hand man and Kat's on-again-off-again boyfriend. He was such an awesome character and I'm so excited to be reading more of him.

My Random Statement: I am now going to call one of my friends Princess Fluffy!

My Favorite Quotes:
"I've seriously got to stop turning my girlfriends gay, but like I can really help it. It's my animal appeal."

"Note to self: Never talk badly about jungle cats. I'd probably get my head dunked in the toilet."

"Either way . . . wow, just wow. Deer? Headlights? Hi, I'm Ali."

"Actually, it's just a matter of time before I feed your balls to my dog."

"Remind me that I need to buy a dog."

"If eyes could throw daggers, I'd have a few embedded in my chest."

"Cole was watching Justin as if he meant to flay the skin from his bones, throw it down and play "Dance Dance Revolution" on it."

"Or, what? You'll grow a few inches, develop muscles and turn green?"

"I'd only been smart-alecking--yeah, I'd just turned that word into a verb--when I'd told her to find me later."

"Besides, Cole's the one you should be chatting with. He practically ate her up with his eyes. In fact, I'm surprised Ali doesn't have bite marks."

"I stepped in front of Kat, just in case. No one hit my friend and lived to tell the tale. That was my new motto, and one I would forever embrace."

"As you've figured out, there are only two people in this place who have the lady balls to stand up to her--and I'm one of them, but I had no idea you'd be the other,"

"If U don't answer, Mad Dog, I'll tell every1 UR nickname is PRINCESS FLUFFY."

"So telling him that he clearly put the 'fun' in 'funeral' is out?"

"He wanted to play the quiet game first. Prepare to lose Cole Holland!"

"Uh, what was that? Surely the bad boy of Asher wasn't offering to chauffeur me. Me. The weird girl with the staring problem."

"Uh, maybe because at first glance he looked like he ate puppies for breakfast and kittens for lunch? As for what he enjoyed having for dinner--that couldn't be discussed in polite company."

"I whirled. Three more monsters had decided to join our Dance Party Massacre."

"You're right. I was having dinner with Zombie Carl the other night. You know, steaks, rare, and a bottle of vintage type A. He told me all his secrets, but too bad for you I promised I wouldn't tell. In exchange I asked him to gather his best undead buddies and stalk me through my friend's yard. And oh, yeah, it was totally fine if they wanted to use me as an all-night dinner buffet, because having organs is so last season."

"For some reason, Cole burst out laughing, no longer trying to hide it. Mr. Holland shot him a look that shouted shut up a lot louder than actual words, saving me the trouble."

"You're not going to be able to intimidate her. Believe me, I've tried."


Did I like this book? Freaking amazing! This is my new baby!
Would I reread it? Already did! And I would so do it again!
Would I recommend it? Hells yeah! Go buy this now!

No comments:

Post a Comment