Saturday, April 27, 2013

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi




Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Rating Scale (1-10): 9

My Review: Ehmergerd wow! I seriously think I'm going through a phase where I'm going to give every book I read a high ass freaking rating. But whatever. This book so deserves it! Okay, so last Saturday I went to the LA Times Festival of Books and I saw that Tahereh was there signing and I've heard so many good things about Shatter Me that I figured I might as well and pick up a copy of my own. And I'm so happy that I did! Shatter Me was amazing!

The cover! That cover is so beautiful and creative that I fell in love with it right away! I love the use of the colors and the water (I think it's water. Am I right?) and the trees and the birds. It's just amazing and so gorgeous. The cover designer did such a good job.

Action and plot! This was just so freaking fantastic that I was just so amazing that the author was able to captivate me so well! I've read a couple books before this one about a girl whose power is to kill with a single touch. But this one, by far, is the best. Juliette doesn't want to be a monster (total Twilight moment there), she knows she isn't insane, and she knows she never meant to hurt anyone. The whole type she's been stuck in the psych ward, all she's wanted to know is survive and maybe live a normal life. The action really did surprise me because I didn't peg Juliette as the type of heroine that can kick some serious ass. But that's what she ended up doing and I loved it!

Okay, so, romance! Oh, geez, the romance was just too adorable! It's safe to say that I am on Team Adam! He was just amazing and I fell in love with him right away. Except for in the beginning where the author freaked me out and I just wanted to punch him. But then I loved him again! Adam really cares about Juliette and you can totally tell in the book. After everything he's done for her, you'd have to be blind if you don't see his feelings for her. And how she loves him! *Squee* it's just too cute!

Now it's time to talk about the characters!

Juliette: She is such an awesome protagonist. Lol yeppers I definitely like her.

Adam: A hot, sexy angel sent from heaven above! Him and Juliette have been the cutest couple since forever!

Warner: Don't even get me started on this guy. Me no likey.

Kenji: I love this guy! He's hilarious and I can't wait to read more about him!

My Random Statement: I want my own superhero outfit!

My Favorite Quotes: "Hope is a pocket of possibility."

"Because I'm in love with you."

"I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.”

“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat. That I have one, too.”

“Killing time isn't as difficult as it sounds."

"His smile is laced with dynamite. "Go to sleep"
"Go to hell."
He works his jaw. Walks to the door. "I'm working on it.”"

“Every butterfly in the world has migrated to my stomach.”


Did I like this book? Duh! That's why I gave it a 9!
Would I reread it? Most definitely.
Would I recommend it? Oui!

1 comment:

  1. Me no likey Warner either! Just you wait for Unravel Me! So happy you enjoyed this one and great review <3

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete