Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass




Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


Rating Scale (1-10): 8.5

My Review: This is not what I expected at all. No! Don't get me wrong, The Elite was freaking amazing and definitely had me reeling hours after I finished it, but there were so many things that happened that pissed me that made this book less than a 10. The Elite was definitely one of my most anticipated reads of the year and I can't help but be a little disappointed. Okay, so most of you must have noticed that in romance novels, everything is all flowers and sunshine in the first book, but in the second book all these problems come up and it's an almost kinda sorta kind of romance. That's exactly what happened in this sequel.

After I bought this, I must've stared at the cover all the way home. It's so beautiful! And that dress! Oh, that dress. I love that we get to see America's face now (I'm assuming that's America. Am I wrong? I don't know.). I'm sure I'd give my left pinky finger for that dress. And I love her hair! It's just so pretty

Okay, so the action mainly consisted of the rebels attacking the palace time and time again. And I have to say, they did a pretty good job with these attacks. Not that I'm supporting them or anything but if I were on their side, I'd applaud. There was a lot of shooting and running and hiding. Oh! I think you guys would like to know this! (I don't know if its a spoiler or not but whatever!) There is a cat fight! America slaps the shit out of Celeste! I remember putting the book down and cheering. I was like, "You go, girl!" Lol this is the second time Celeste has been slapped in The Selection. I have a feeling it's not going to be the last.

The romance was such a disappointment to me. At the very beginning, it was all cute and happy and I just loved it. But then as the story progressed, it got worse. I wanted more Maxon and America swoony moments. But did I get them? Yeah, kind of, but it wasn't what I wanted. There was so much fighting between them and then he started falling for Kriss because she made him a card. A freaking card!

Characters!

America Singer: She is so incredibly indecisive the whole time! I think when she finally realized she was being stupid was during the last scene of the book. I still think she's a pretty good protagonist, but when you piss her off, she comes at you guns blazing. Like that incident with the castes, I seriously just wanted to yell at her.

Maxon: I liked him a lot less in this book. He was still the sweet, loving Maxon we all know from the first book, but after everything that happened (especially with Kriss and Celeste), I just didn't like him as much as before. I get it, it's a competition and its expected of him to mess around with the other girls, but me being Maxerica (I just made that up right now), I didn't like it!

Aspen: Just as my love for Maxon decreased, my love for Aspen increased. Just a little bit though! I am still Team Maxon all the way! Aspen just has that pure hatred for anyone in the upper castes, and that just starts to get annoying after a while. Also! During the entire book, he, not only endangers his own life (!), but also puts America's life in danger! WTH?!?

Marlee: I was heartbroken when it came to Marlee. She was definitely one of my favorite characters. After the pain she endured, it's nice to see that she is happy now. Maxon was able to provide a life she would be happy with.

Queen Amberly: We did see a little more of her in this book, but I can't say whether I like her or not.

King Clarkson: Let's just say that this guy is so off my Christmas list.

My Random Statement: I think I would be the third person to slap the hell out of Celeste!

No quotes this time! Sorry! Next time!

Did I like this book? I am in love with this series!
Would I reread it? Yes!
Would I recommend it. Only if you read The Selection first!

--What did you think of this review? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment