Thursday, May 2, 2013

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks




Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


Rating Scale (1-10): 9.5

My Review: Ohmysweetgoodness, this book was so fan-flipping-tastic! (Lol did you see what I just did there? Emma loves to say that.) I read this book last summer and decided to reread for you guys. Yes, all of you. Lol okay I'll stop. But reading it over again just reminded me of how much I love this book. This is the book that started my crazy mermaid mania frenzy!

The cover is just gorgeous and I love it. So I'm guessing that the girl on the cover is Emma. And I just love the fact that she's underwater. It's just so beautiful and I love all the colors of the water!

Action and plot! It was awesome and amazing and creative and--did I mention awesome?--freaking fantastic! There wasn't much fighting or stuff like that which means there isn't much action. You know, besides the punching and the encounter with a shark that was really suspense-y.

The romance was too cute and maybe a little frustrating. During almost the whole book I was just like, "CAN YOU GUYS JUST GET TOGETHER ALREADY?!" Of course, like every other romance book, they eventually do and it's just so freaking adorable!

Characters!

Emma: She is so funny! Emma is definitely a likable protagonist. One thing that I wasn't too crazy about was the fact that she was so incredibly stubborn. She's one of those protagonist that if you tell her not to do something, then she does it just to piss you off. Eh. Kinda sound like me. Lol.

Galen: Hottest. Merman. Ever. I love this guy! If only I could jump in this book and have him for myself.

Rayna: At first I was like, No! She's a bitch! This is Galen's sister and she's so freaking mean that I hated her right away! But then eventually she started becoming okay. Her and Toraf are so cute!

Toraf: He was such a perfect addition to the story! There's always that one guy in the book that's the best friend and he's hilarious. I just love how he's been in love with Rayna since they were little kids (or fingerlings as they say in the book).

My Random Statement: Ugh! That cliffhanger! I can totally picture Anna Bank's evil author laugh as she wrote that!

My Favorite Quotes: "Worst-case scenario, they saw me totter like an intoxicated walrus into this complete stranger because I was looking for a place to park our beach stuff."

"but then again, Cinderella wasn't as clumsy as an intoxicated walrus."

"I also try to decide what kind of flowers I'll bring to her funeral after I strangle the life from her body."

"But he wouldn't tell me, so I tackled him."

"But if that someone has a body that could make sculpted statues jealous--and thinks you've broken your nose on one of his pecs--well, that's when tripping runs a distant second to humane euthanasia."

"I need to know where Jersey is and if I have enough money to buy it."

"I handle it with the grace of a rhino on stilts."


Did I like this book? Ehmergerd yes!
Would I reread it? I've read it like, 3 times already.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely positively!

No comments:

Post a Comment