Friday, May 31, 2013

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher




You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret. . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her.

Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-- and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town. . .

. . .and what he discovers changes his life forever.


Rating Scale (1-10): 8.5

My Review: Now that I think back to the entire story, I want to cry. It was beautiful and devastating and amazing and heartbreaking. I could go on with so many more adjectives, but I won't. I picked up Thirteen Reasons Why just a couple of days ago at Target. Yeah. Target. I was happy to find it there. I picked this book up because it sounded like a very interesting concept. And believe me, I was not disappointed at all with how the book turned out.

Okay, so the cover. It's cute and simple and absolutely perfect for the book. There's not really a lot I can say about the cover except that I couldn't have thought of a better cover. So cute!

So there is no action in this book, but the plot is definitely interesting enough to have you stick around until you're finished. On a day like any other, Clay finds a package waiting for him when he gets home. At first he thinks that it's from some secret admirer, but what he discovers is much, much different. He opens the box to find a box of old tapes. Hannah Baker's voice is on these tapes and on these tapes, she explains why she decided to end her life. And since Clay received these tapes, he's one of the reasons why. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now. The synopsis had me hooked from the very beginning!

The romance is mostly between Hannah and Clay, but since Hannah is dead, the romance is all past tense. Clay had always had a crush on Hannah but never pursued her either because of her reputation or because he was just too shy. I forget which; maybe both. Hannah felt the same way about Clay, but I guess she was scared to pursue him, too. If Hannah hadn't done what she did, I would've loved to see her and Clay as a couple.

Character Discussions!

Hannah Baker: The entire story revolves around Hannah Baker's suicide tapes. She was a really broken character that had to go through tough situations. She didn't have many friends and in school, and she doesn't exactly have a line of boys waiting to win her heart. Or at least, I didn't read in the book that she did.

Clay Jensen: When Clay finds out that he's one of the reasons why Hannah killed herself, he's devastated. Clay is the good boy who gets all the good grades. I really liked him and I wished he had grown a pair and told Hannah how he felt.

My Random Statement: If you've read this book, and if you haven't already listened to Hannah's tapes on YouTube, then you should go do that right now! The username is Hannahsfriend13 Go now! Scoot!

My Favorite Quotes:
"Now, why would a dead girl lie?
Hey! That sounds like a joke. Why would a dead girl lie? Answer: Because she can't stand up."

"Oops. Did you catch that? I said, "Hannah Baker is." Can't say that anymore."

"And sometimes, a rumor based on a kiss has a snowball effect.
A rumor, based on a kiss, is just the beginning."

"And what about you--the rest of you--did you notice the scars you left behind?"

"Because most of them can't be seen with the naked eye."

"I guess that's the point of it all. No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same."

"When you try rescuing someone and discover they can't be reached, why would you ever throw that back in their face?"

"But does that diminish any of your stories? Are your stories any less meaningful because I'm not telling you everything?
Actually, it magnifies them."

"When you mess with one part of a person's life, you're messing with their entire life."

"Everything. . . affects everything."

"All you really have . . . is now."

"And what was the last thing I said to you? Because trust me, when I said it, I knew it was the last thing I'd ever say."


Did I like this book? It was amazing.
Would I reread it? Yes.
Would I recommend it? Go pick this up now. (It's at Target!)

--What did you think of this review? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment