Sunday, June 9, 2013

Book Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins




Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10

My Review: Wow. Why did it take me so damn long to start this series? Seriously someone needs to hit me over the head with a book---only with a bad book that no ones likes. This book was fantastic! I loved every aspect! The protagonist was funny and knew when to pick her fights. I just absolutely love this author's writing style and the world she's set up. So let's get into it!

The cover is gorgeous! I could only guess that that's Sophie on the cover. I love the reflection in the water, she looks so pretty in the dress. It's awesome how she looks so innocent and afraid in the top half of the cover and on the bottom she's all confident and fearless and she looks all, "Come at me, bro." Oh, and I love the way the cat looks all surprised. It just makes me laugh!

The plot and action! I didn't think the plot could get so interesting, but, lucky me, it did! Someone---or something---is attacking students at Hex Hall and the only suspect people could come up with is Sophie's best friend. Sophie tries to learn how she can control her magic and learn even more spells to make her be a better witch. It was pretty cool being able to be with her as she tried to expand her powers. And I totally didn't expect this, but there was actually some fighting, which was pretty awesome. I'm not gonna tell you who Sophie was fighting, but I was impressed with her.

The romance! Okay, I thought the romance was frustrating and cute all at once. So, the love interest's name is Archer Cross. His girlfriend is Elodie, a girl who dislikes Sophie and vice versa. Archer and Sophie tease each other a lot and I absolutely loved that. I'm not sure why but I've always been a fan of the romances where they start off being snarky to one another and then they grow to love each other. The snarky-ness just makes me laugh and it makes for a fantastic story.

Character Discussions!

Sophie Mercer: She is my favorite type of protagonist. She was funny, sarcastic, loyal, and she always fights for her friends. At the end of the book, she surprised by doing the right thing. I'm excited to see more of her in the next two books in the series.

Archer Cross: The bad boy every girl in Hex Hall is in love with. I'll admit, I wasn't his biggest fan at first, but he grew on me. I'm not giving out any spoilers here, but I'm just gonna say that Archer has a big secret, and Sophie isn't the only one who felt betrayed. I wanted to grab Archer by the shoulders, shake him, and yell, "Why?!" That's all I say now.

Jenna: Jenna is Sophie's roommate, best friend, and a vampire. She was an awesome character that I enjoyed reading about. I loved that she was obsessed with all different shades of pink!

Elodie: I really didn't like her in the beginning, or the middle, but at the end I warmed up to her because she didn't mean to do any harm (kind of) and what she did at the end, made up for everything.

Cal: He's 19 and the groundskeeper of Hex Hall. I know. I expected a stuffy old man as a groundskeeper, but no. He's 19. And hot. And a healer. I'm expecting to see more of him in the next book.

My Random Statement: My favorite scene in the entire book was when she yelled, "BAD DOG!" Lol if you're going to start this book, don't worry. This scene comes early on in the book.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Thanks to the humidity, my hair felt like it had tripled in size. I could feel it trying to devour mu sunglasses like some sort of carnivorous jungle plant."

"For one thing, I didn't get to fly around on a broomstick. (I asked my mom about that when I first came into my powers, and she said no, I had to keep riding the bus like everyone else.)"

"I tugged at the hem of my brand-new Hecate Hall-issue blue plaid skirt (kilt? Some sort of bizarre skirt/kilt hybrid? A skilt?)"

"I know, a council that callas themselves "the Council." So original."

"As we made our way toward the school, I could feel sweat pooling up in weird places where I was pretty sure I had never sweat before. How can your ears sweat?"

"Or maybe they were staring at me as I tried to discreetly wipe sweat from between my breast without appearing to get to second base with myself. Hard to say."

"No matter how many times you read about werewolves, seeing one right in front of you is a whole new experience."

"Of course the only words I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, "BAD DOG!""

"Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."

"Never has encouragement sounded so much like a threat."

"I expected her to tell me that in the event of an emergency, my brand-new Hecate blazer could be used a flotation device."

"I don't know shay I was expecting a vampire's room to look like. Maybe lots of black, a bunch of books by Camus . . . oh, and a sensitive portrait of the only human the vamp had ever loved, who had no doubt died of something beautiful and tragic, thus dooming the vamp to an eternity of moping and sighing romantically."

"But this room looked like it had been decorated by the unholy love child of Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake."

"I bet she woke up with her hair looking like something out of a Pantene commercial while little bluebirds circled around her head, and raccoons brought her breakfast or something."

"I also couldn't help but notice that she didn't have any freckles, which was enough to make me hate her instantly."

"Dark and white? What, are we like chicken meat?"

"When someone tells you somebody's been murdered, laughing is probably not the best response. You know, for future reference.
But laughing is exactly what I did."

"I stared at them. Had that been their sales pitch? Look! We're really scary! Come be scary too!"

"Oh my God. Regret cake? Whatever was about to happen must be truly evil."

""Cross!" I called. I just couldn't bring myself to say "Arched" out loud. I'd have felt like I was in an episode of Masterpiece Theatre: "Archer! Let us fetch a spot of tea, old boy!"

"I said, even though all I could think was, Slobber! Werewolf slobber! On my skin!"

"Hey, werewolves gotta drool, vampires gotta eat . . ."

"Being manipulated has always been one of my least favorite things. Right up there with snakes. And Britney Spears."

""So how was cellar duty tonight?"
"Cellar-ific."

"I answered way too brightly. I sounded like a cheerleader on a Kool-Aid high."

"A Star Wars thing? I was supposed to 'sense a disturbance in the Force'?"

"I could have kissed her.
Well, on second thought, no. Maybe a firm handshake."

""You people are more prepared than the Girl Scouts," I'd muttered. Then I'd fainted."


Did I like this book? Absolutely LOVED!
Would I reread it? Of course!
Would I recommend it? Buy this now! What are you waiting for?!


--What did you think of this review? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment