Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Review: The Rules by Stacey Kade




1. Never trust anyone.

2. Remember they are always searching.

3. Don’t get involved.

4. Keep your head down.

5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…


Rating Scale (1-10): 7

My Review: I've read Stacey Kade's entire The Ghost and the Goth series and I loved it so I figured I would read The Rules. It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me either. Don't get me wrong, this was a really interesting read, but.....eh. I really liked that this book was a dual POV though because it was refreshing to be able to inside the love interest's head and know what they feel towards the other main character. That was actually the main thing that impressed me throughout everything. And no, this will not be a negative review, I did like this book, but not as much as I hoped I would.

The cover is really pretty. I loved the fact that they showed Ariane's fake blue eye with her real nearly black ones. I thought it was a nice touch. I also love that you can faintly see Zane in the top left corner. So pretty!

So, action and plot. I finished this book about a couple of days ago so I really don't recall anyone fighting. Aside from Ariane flickering some lights and doing . . . other things, there really wasn't any kick-butt action. The plot was interesting though. Ariane's been in hiding every since her "father" smuggled her out of the genetics lab she was living in. He comes up with those rules for her so they can stay safe and not draw the attention of the company looking for them. So I guess from the synopsis you already know that Ariane is half human and have extraterrestrial. And no, she is not like little (or tall and skinny) green men. She never says "Phone home." Which is just a plus.

The romance was pretty cute and I loved every scene with both Ariane and Zane in it. At first, the romance begins with Zane's evil witch of a friend Rachel having Zane ask Ariane to some school event so they could humiliate her. Zane agrees but he doesn't know why he does. He says its because he's curious about Ariane and wants to know more about her. At first, Ariane and Zane agree to just out on a show, but then of course, like every other romance, feelings of love develop. I loved them together!

Character Discussions!

Ariane Tucker: She is the main character, the one the story starts off with. For as long as she's been in the human world, she's kept her head down and she's stayed out of the way. Ariane was a strong character and I really admired her. I already talked about her above so there isn't much more to say.

Zane Bradshaw: Oh, this guy was a hottie with some serious daddy issues. He definitely was my favorite character in the entire book. Zane was sweet, and sometimes funny, I'd would love him as my boyfriend. He was a pretty complex character and like I just said, his family situation is pretty messed up. His mother left him because his father is a real dickhead and he was pretty torn up about it. I loved the way cared about Ariane and eventually developed more intense feelings for her. Oh. Is it bad that whenever I read his full name, I think of Carrie from Sex and the City? No? Okay, good.

Jenna: This chick does not knowing the meaning of a "true friend." The entire time she only thought about herself. Would not want to be her friend.

Rachel: Bitch. But she was kinda sorta okay at the end. Almost. Not quite.

My Favorite Quotes:
"And once you break one, the rest seem like so much broken glass. The damage is already done."

"Other children had nightmares about clowns, monsters, and--in my friend Jenna's case--the Hamburger Helper hand from the commercials."

", unless I stood next to someone who's fake-baked to a Cheeto orange . . . Or if you knew what you were looking for."

"Twitchy was my middle name today."

"I always forget--is hammered shit better or worse than non-hammered shit?"

"And screaming every time a stranger tried to talk to me . . . well, that was definitely different."
That took stranger danger to a whole new level.

"It means I don't want to talk to you for a minute, thirty seconds, or any other standard or nonstandard measure of time. Got it?"

"We weren't the freaking Mafia."

"But those emotions, while lacking the detail and the shades of gray found in conscious thought, can give you beeline on a person's state of mind, albeit more as an internal scream of rage than, say, someone articulating, "Gee, I am angry.""

"Someone, somewhere, should put her in charge of an army."

"Outside, in the much cooler air, she was glowing in the harsh white parking lot lights. Not literally. That would have been weird."

"Now, that's an interesting mental image. Rachel as a grenade,"

"You know those first few moments after waking from a bad dream, when you're convinced that your nightmare is real, and there's an impossibly large coil of dread in your stomach? But then slowly, details from the dream slip away and reality slides into place. You didn't miss your bio final, you didn't walk into school naked, the evil corporation that created you didn't recapture you . . ."


Did I like this book? Liked, not loved.
Would I reread it? Probably not.
Would I recommend it? No, but I would recommend her Stacey's other series.

--What did you think of this review? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment