Friday, July 19, 2013

Book Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare




Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.


Rating Scale (1-10): 10!!

My Review: I feel like the last person to read Clockwork Angel, and now that I've read it, I want to kick myself! This book was sooooo good! There's just something about Cassandra Clare's writing and the world she creates that makes it so compelling and just has you so engrossed in the story that you just can't put it down. I'm so excited to start Clockwork Prince, it's just sitting on my shelf waiting for me to pick it up.

The cover is gorgeous, of course. I mean, come on, that's Will Herondale on the cover. Why wouldn't it be beautiful? I love how the clockwork angel that Tessa wears is on the cover, too.

Plot and action! Come on, it's the Shadowhunter world! There's always going to be action and of course it's going to be kickass. Anyways, Tessa comes to London to live with her brother after their aunt has passed away and gets kidnapped by the Dark Sisters. Tessa quickly finds out that she has the power to transform. As in, shapeshift into other people. The Dark Sisters are saving her for the Magister, who wants her--ahem, I mean her power--desperately.

So there are two love interests in Clockwork Angel: Jem Carstairs and Will Herondale. I had a difficult time deciding which guy I loved more because Jem is so sweet and cute and just plain amazing. Although, Will can be sweet and cute when he wants to be, he takes the cake because he was just so funny. Nearly all of the quotes I picked out were what Will said. I loved the way Tessa interacted with Will and definitely snapped at him when he was a bit out of line or really annoying. Without a doubt now, I am so Team Will!

Character Discussions!

Tessa Gray: Okay, so Tessa isn't a bad character, I just kind of wished she had fought a little more. Don't get me wrong, I liked her, she was a pretty cool character and I would love to see what happens with her in the next couple of books. My favorite thing about her was that she absolutely loved to read! She got so excited about books and that's the same way I am! So yeah, I think we could be best friends.

Will Herondale: I already talked a little bit about him above, but let's refresh. Will is a gorgeous, swoon-worthy, hilarious guy that can be a huge douchecanoe when he wants to be. He definitely was a complex character because he wants people to think he's an ass, and he does a pretty good job of convincing people that is, but in reality, he's not that way. Lol okay, so long story short, I want to marry this guy.

Jem Carstairs: I loved Jem! He was so sweet and definitely an example of a guy not having to be snarky (like, Mr. Herondale) to be totally attractive to girls. Mr. Nice Guy over here and I am absolutely in love with him. I want Will and Jem both and they will both have to deal with it.

Jessamine Lovelace: I'm really not that fond of Jessamine. She's was just so bitchy most of the time that I really wanted to slap her. I kept comparing her to Isabelle from TMI throughout this whole book, but I just liked Isabelle a lot more.

Charlotte: She was so nice and just the mother figure of all the Shadowhunters. Even to Tessa, which I found so sweet.


Henry: Charlotte's husband. He was just so cute with his gadgets and being all inventor-y!

My Randomness: Magnus Bane makes an appearance here! And when I saw his name, I literally screamed his name and kinda sorta dropped my book. Lol so yeah my mom looked at me weird for the rest of the night.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Nice place to live, isn't it? Let's hope they left something behind other than filth. Forwarding addresses, a few severed limbs, a prostitute or two . . ."


""They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.""

""Were you thinking about eating me?" Will inquired."

"Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel! I seek scandal and low companionship."

""You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."
"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.""

"Drowning yourself won't help, she told herself sternly. Now, drowning Will on the other hand . . ."

"Anger, Tessa thought, was satisfying in its own way, when you gave into it. There was something peculiarly gratifying about shouting in a blind rage until your words ran out."

Did I like this book? Absolutely!
Would I reread it? Probably. I'll always need more of Will Herondale.
Would I recommend it? Duh!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: