Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Book Review: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken




When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.


Rating Scale (1-10): 9

My Review: Well, it seems to me that I've been reading nothing but amazing books! And believe me, that is OKAY with moi! I actually picked up this book because of all the hype I'd heard about it, and yes okay I was a little hesitant to start this one because I just, well I'm gonna be honest here, I really didn't want to. It was just one of those books where it's on my shelf and I plan on reading it, I just don't exactly feel like it yet. I want to kick myself for that! For not reading this sooner! The Darkest Minds was an amazing book and it was soooo good! I'll explain why I love this book below!

I'll be honest, I'm not too crazy about the cover. It wasn't what I expected for a YA book. Although it does fit the book perfectly, the cover is dark and mysterious and creepy and just represents the book very well.

So the action was actually pretty impressing. And so was the plot! Ruby is classified at Thurmond as a Green, but she's the only one that knows the truth about herself (ha, no I'm not going to tell you) . She escapes Thurmond with the Children's League, and then quickly escapes them, and joins a small group on a journey of their own. Liam, Chubs, and Zu are looking for a safe haven for children like them--ones with abilities--called East River. I don't think I can really say any more without giving anything away. But yeah, the action was awesome and definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

The romance was just perfect and so cute! I loved the relationship Liam and Ruby had with each other. They're such strong characters and together, they just made each other stronger. The snippy banter they had was funny and absolutely adorable. I'm not so sure that I would like this book as much if there weren't any romance.

Now let's discuss characters!

Ruby: She was such a fantastic protagonist! Ruby was strong and definitely had a lot of character development throughout the book. In the beginning she couldn't even stand up for herself and but the end, she was so kickass and awesome!

Liam: Liam has now been added to my Book Boyfriend list! I loved every time he called Ruby darlin' and Ruby Tuesday! He was such an amazing leader and he cared so much about the people in his little group. I definitely want my own Liam.

Chubs: So, at first Chubs wasn't my favorite person. But of course, he grew on me. He was funny and snarky at times, and then a total butthole at other times, but he cools. He's definitely that type of guy that pretends he doesn't care but he totally does.

Zu: She is such a cute little girl and you have no choice but to love her!

My Random Statement: I definitely want to be a Blue! Liam and Chubs abilities are so awesome and I want them!

My Favorite Quotes:

"I was still stuck in my own world of sunshine, ponies, and my race car collection."

"Dreaming led to disappointment, and disappointment to a kind of depressed funk that wasn't easy to shake. Better to stay in the gray than eaten by the dark."

"I'm not sure who she thought she was fooling with her sweet little B.S., but it wasn't me."

"It was the first true sign of life we'd seen in all of our driving--most likely because we were cruising down Dead Man's Highway in the middle of Butt-Freaking Nowhere--but that single truck was enough to scare Cate."

"Maybe if I'm lucky, you'll drown yourself in it."

"That was not like riding a bike, you asshole!"

""Thank you, Chuckles," Liam cut in, "for that rousing burst of optimism.""

""Thanks," Liam said. "You're the best, Mother Teresa.""

""Fat chance," Chubs grumbled. "The woman is a Terminator.""

"He wore his thought plain as day on his face: You're still here?
I shrugged. Deal with it."

"Thanks, Ruby Tuesday."

""You okay?" He asked.
"Fine," I said. "Pissed. You?"
"Fine. Pissed.""

"I'm sorry, did I stutter?"

"The only thing the ramshackle group had in common, outside of their pool of food and an alarming pile of firearms and knives, was their camp in New York, which they lovingly referred to only as "Satan's Ass Crack.""

""You have two seconds to tell me you're kidding," I said, "or I'm punching you in the face.""

"Okay, Charles. Charlie? Chuck? Chip?"

"When a girl cries, few things are more worthless than a boy. Having two of them just meant that they stared at each other helplessly instead of at me."

"We wanted you yesterday, we want you today, and we'll want you tomorrow. There's nothing you could do to change that."

"Did I? The memory was milky and distorted, like I was glimpsing someone else's dream. "Angry man," I said. "Rifle. Ruby's head. Ouch.""

"". . .crackers . . . " a voice breathed out behind us, "yessss . . .""

"Time to carpe the hell out of this diem."

"Any day now, Marian Librarian."


Did I like this book? Yes! Absolutely!
Would I reread it? I plan on it!
Would I recommend it? I recommend that you read this now!

--So what did you think of this review? :D

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! :D omg I just noticed the Daemon Invasion thing on the side LOLOL (blowing up laptops since 2011)

    ReplyDelete