Thursday, July 4, 2013

Book Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West




Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.


Rating Scale (1-10): 8

My Review: The Distance Between Us, though not a book set in summer, is the perfect summer read. I'll admit it was a bit cliché for my taste, but somehow I still loved it. Kasie West's writing was flow-y and very easy to get in to. This is the first book I've read from Kasie and I know that she currently has a paranormal book called Pivot Point. I have it on my Nook and now that I've read her contemporary, I'm excited to start it.

The cover is exactly what I expected for a contemporary and it's perfect. It's cute and looks very romantic. I'm guessing that's Xander and Caymen on the cover; the thing that makes me laugh is Cander is all rich and stuff and he looks all casual while Caymen looks super pretty in that fancy-ish dress (a dress that I want, by the way). Is it bad that I keep looking at her shoes? They're just so cute! I want them!

So, since there's no action in this book, we'll just talk about the plot. In Caymen's town, there are two types of people: the rich, and the people who sell things to the rich. Caymen falls into the second category. In the very beginning of the book, a boy her age walks into her and her mother's doll store, and from one glance, Caymen could already that he's oozing rich. And everything goes downhill from there! This one was not an insta-love! relationship and I think that's what made me love it. That there was no rush in the romance; they were friends first. Of course there were obstacles, what good book doesn't have them? Obstacles like his friends, her friends, his parents, her mom, and a couple more things I won't mention.

Like I said before, there was no rush in the romance. It was a bit of flirty fun between the two characters. They were so adorable together and their "career days" seemed like such a fun idea. They were absolutely fantastic together and their snippy banter went along so perfectly.

Let's talk about the characters now!

Caymen: She was my favorite character throughout the whole book. She was funny, and sarcastic, and I just loved her humor! She's such a strong character and I loved how she was there for her mom and would do anything for her. The mother/daughter relationship they had was touching. The thing I loved mostly about her is that she uses jokes as a defense mechanism and that kinda sorta reminds me as myself.

Xander Spence: I love this guy! He's so cute, and thoughtful, and creative, and I just want him to be mine! He just had the right kind of patience and tolerance that it takes to be with Caymen. And he actually really liked her a lot, which I found SO cute! I want my own real-life Xander.

Caymen's Mom: Very secretive, but in the end, a mom that loves her daughter more than anything. I didn't like her at first, but then she kind of grew on me.

My Random Statement: Pre-sipped hot chocolate does actually seem a little gross. Although if it's Xander the one doing, I don't think I'll have a problem with it.

My Favorite Quotes:

"Theirs say, 'I want to steal your soul so don't turn your back on us.'"

"No, they threatened to release the souls of past customers. We couldn't have that."

"Would it be wrong if I sicced one of the dolls on him?"

""My mom says before I turn eighteen she still has the right to murder me." My mom always tells me to blame it on her if I am ever in an uncomfortable situation. It seems to work well."

"Note to self: Caymen is very good at sarcasm."

"Sorry, I got caught in a thorny vine and had to untangle myself from its clutches."

"Am I your required dose of daily abuse?"

""You've looked him up?"
"I had to. I might need a kidney one day.""

"Hi, I'm stranger one and this is stranger two. Are you uncomfortable yet?"

"Sean raises one eyebrow when he sees us, probably thinking, Didn't we all agree that this boy is too pretty?"


Did I like this book? Love.
Would I reread it? Well, of course. I need my daily dose of Xander Spence.
Would I recommend it? If you're a fan of contemporary books, you definitely need to pick this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment