Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Book Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout




The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Rating Scale (1-10): 9

My Review: So, I've heard from so many reviews and from a lot of people that Half-Blood is really similar to Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. To be honest, when I first read this, I didn't see the similarities; probably because I hadn't read V.A. for a while. But when it was pointed out, I was like, "Oh yeah." Nevertheless, I am still very much in love with this series. I mean, come on! It's Jennifer Armentrout! How can you not love her books?

The cover is so gorgeous and just purple! The flower is so beautiful and when when I read about it in the book, I just about stared at that flower! Definitely one my favorite covers of all time!

So, let's talk about some plot and action! Half-Blood definitely doesn't disappoint in the action department. There are so many kickass scenes There are two different species in the Covenant world. There are the Hematoi, also known as the pure bloods, who are born from Gods and mortals. The half-bloods are the children of pure bloods and mortals. Alex is a half. For three years she's been away from the Covenant and when she comes back, she dreams to become a Sentinel. Now that she's back at the Covenant, she needs to be on her best behavior and not break any rules. But the rule she's having trouble with is Rule #1: You can never be romantically involved with a pure blood.

So the romance was cute and frustrating and steamy! I love Alex and Aiden. They've both been through horrible tragedies. Alex's mom was murdered by daimons right in front of her and it was basically the same case with Aiden. When he was a kid, both of his parents were murdered by daimons, but luckily, him and his brother Deacon survived. They both have such strength that the other needs.

Character Discussions!

Alexandria Andros (Alex): Alex is definitely my favorite female protagonist of all time. She's funny, snarky, sarcastic, and so kickass! I've never loved a character more. Despite everything she's gone through, she's still so strong and she's the type of person that's easily put down.

Aiden St. Delphi: Oh, I definitely this sexy guy is descended from the gods. He was so cute, and sweet, and even funny! Aiden is what Alex has always wanted to be. A Sentinel. I definitely wouldn't mind Aiden being my trainer. He is hot hot hot!!

Caleb Nicolo: Caleb is Alex's best friend and he is hilarious! He was another favorite character of mine throughout the book.

Marcus Andros: This is Alex's uncle that is now the Dean of the Covenant. He grew on me towards the end of the book.

Seth: At first, he's a huge douchecanoe, but he . . . almost . . . grew on me.

My Randomness Moment: I loved the scene where Alex pulls out some of Lea's hair! It was so funny!

My Favorite Quotes:

"I'd be super pissed in the afterlife if I died a virgin in this craphole."

"Blah. Blah. You're gonna kill me. Blah. I know."

"Only titanium would kill a daimon, but I felt confident that being burned alive didn't feel too good."

"Suddenly I entertained a wild idea. I wondered if his lips felt as good as they looked. . . because they looked awesome."

"Would be what---a Cyclops?"

"I rolled my eyes. He made me sound like a cunning criminal about to bring down the entire Covenant."

"You better have had a baby, killed someone, or slept with a pure. Those are your three options. Anything less is totally unacceptable."

"You don't have to. And besides, I don't think I want you shopping for me. I'd end up looking like a stripper."

"I don't want to find out in the morning you burnt down a village while I slept."

"So, what am I learning today? I think we should start with anything that doesn't involve you kicking my ass."

"Try to refrain? As if I has uncontrollable animalistic urges and jumped every half in sight?"

"And don't worry about the shopping. I got some hot chicks to try clothes on for me. Trust me, mutually beneficial day for me."

"One thing I wasn't good at was talking about how I felt. Hell, I wasn't even good at thinking about how I felt."

"Friends don't let friends act like ho-bags."

"'Oh, yes. Please. Can we talk about another hot guy?' Caleb snorted. 'Exactly the thing I want to talk about.'"

"Come to think of it, where in hell is that little ho?"

"I looked down at my own and noted that my legs looked nowhere near as good as hers did. Bitch."

"Illogical? Distraught? Pissed off? Those were a few things I was feeling right now."

"Pissing off the Apollyon probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but my mood was somewhere between crappy and really crappy."

"Then you would not be upset if I said he was a pompous ass?"

"Oh . . . I'm just saving all of this up for years of therapy later."

"Wow. I have the fingers of death."

"I'm the kung fu master."

"I already had excuses ready if I ran into one of those nurses. I had killer cramps. I'd broken my toe. I'd even say I needed a pregnancy test if it meant I could get to where they had Kain, but I didn't need any of my excuses."

"Alex, you're stating to worry me. Insult me . . . or something."

"I don't care if you can shoot lightning from your hand. I will kick you in the face."

"'If you ever say something that stupid again, I will smother you in your sleep.'
His golden brows rose. 'Little Alex, are you suggesting that we sleep together?'
Stunned by how he came to that conclusion, I lowered the towel. 'What? No!'
'Then how could you smother me in my sleep unless you were in bed with me?' He gave a sly grin. 'Think about it.'
'Oh, shut up.'"

"Rules could suck it."

"Look. What are friends for if they can't share a few hours with psychotic daimons? We can look at it as a bonding experience."

"Try telling me when I don't look like I went to third base with a vampire."


Did I like this book? Really loved!
Would I reread this book? I've already read this book, like, 5 times! What does that tell ya?
Would I recommend it? If you're a fan of Jennifer Armentrout, then I definitely would recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment