Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Review: A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger




Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.

Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.

Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.


Rating Scale (1-10): 8

My Review: Kody Keplinger has quickly become one of my automatic buy authors. I love her writing style and her hilarious characters. This book has definitely become one of my favorite summer reads.

Okay so this is one of those times where I'm not too crazy about the cover. Don't get wrong, I don't hate it. I don't like it or hate it. I don't know what it is with Kody Keplinger's books and all the close of the girls.

Plot! Okay, so Whitley's just graduated from high school and she's spending the summer with her dad. But then she finds out that everything is changing. Her dad is engaged and the fiancée's kid happens to be the one-night stand from that graduation party. So, like it says above, Whitley parties hard. And eventually, she realizes all the great things she has in this new life. Like, an awesome best friend, an adorable little stepsister, and a hot new--to-be--stepbrother.

Characters!

Whitley: I was super annoyed with her during the entire first half of the book. I'll admit, at times she had me laughing with her snarkiness, but other than that, no. She goes through a lot of character development, and I'm so glad she did, because otherwise I don't think I would've liked the book as much. By the end of the book, she's still her snarky, cynical self, but she's a lot better about it.

Nathan: He was just so darn cute! Okay, maybe cute isn't the right word. Sexy, smoking hot, gorgeous, sizzling . . . Okay, okay. I'm done. You get my point anyway. Nathan's one of those really hot nerdy guys who sleeps on Star Wars sheets and is definitely not ashamed about it.

Harrison: Oh God, this guy was my favorite character throughout the entire book! He was hilarious and had me laughing every time he was in a scene. I would love this guy as my best friend. It doesn't hurt that he's smokin' hot either.

Bailey: She was so cute! Just that adorable little sister you can never say no to.

My Randomness Moment: I loved that Nathan had a Darth Vader bobblehead in this room! It was so funny and just shows how nerdy he is! I want a Darth Vader bobblehead. Hmmmm . . . I wonder if that shows how nerdy I am.

My Favorite Quotes:

"She could bitch to a houseplant just as well as she could to me."

"It was like a bad made-for-TV movie. Poor little widow meets successful local celebrity. Then it's all flowers and sunshine in suburbia. Ew."

"Of course I'm not comfortable, you Stepford Wife. This is, like, my worst nightmare."

"What the hell? Okay. It was time for a subject change."

"If her man was eye-raping teenagers, he ought to be doing the hard labor. Pervert."

"Somehow, though, Nathan didn't strike me as the type. Maybe it was the Spider-Man comforter on his bed or the Darth Vader bobblehead on his shelf, but he seemed to be more needy than pervy."

"Yeah, that's my name, I thought. Get to the point."

"I tried to think of something else, something disgusting. Anything that would be a major turnoff.
Like dead kittens.
Or spinach.
Yeah. None of that worked."

"Hormones.
They're real troublemakers."

"Like a ghost. Gone, but not gone."

"I forced a smile. "Okay. But I'm not watching Bring It On again."
"Damn. I am just so heartbroken by that," he joked."

""You look--"
"Like a giant stick of bubble gum. Yeah, I know."

"When you say epic, are you describing the movies or your shocking level of nerdiness?"

"I want to see that cute little ass shaking right now. You can't fight the music, baby!"


Did I like this book? Yes.
Would I reread it? Probably.
Would I recommend it? If you like Kody Keplinger, then yes. If you like summer contemporaries that aren't cutesy and clichéd, then yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment