Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee




It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


Rating Scale (1-10): 9

My Review: I'm trying to get myself together so I can write this review, because well . . . Wow! This book is fantastic. Angelfall is so unlike anything I've ever read that I'm having a hard time trying to describe how much I enjoyed it. Susan Ee is such a talented author. Throughout the entire book, I was able to picture everything perfectly. You know those books that are so clear and vivid and it feels like you're watching a movie? Yeah, this was like that.

Now the cover! The cover is just beautiful, but don't let it fool you. Sure the cover does make it look dark, but the angel wings make it look a lot lighter than it actually is. Angelfall is definitely dark, creepy, and intense, but it is sure worth the read.

Action & Plot! Okay, so in the beginning of the book, Penryn, her little sister, and her mother try to escape their apartment building, and while on the streets, stumble across angels. Well, they don't actually stumble across them, Penryn and her family just see the angels within the vicinity, and hide. Penryn witnesses Raffe getting his wings sliced off. When one of the angels notices Penryn's family, Penryn tries to help out Raffs by giving him back his angel sword. And for punishing Penryn for doing that, the angels take her sister. Now, like I said before, this book is intense. There are fight scenes, chase scenes, scenes with creepy crawlers, and scenes with a hot angel that lost his wings. Angelfall is one action-packed, fast-paced novel that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

The romance! The romance between Raffe and Penryn was both equally frustrating and almost-there adorable. I shipped them the second she slammed him into a wall (in her defense, he was trying to choke her). Ha, interested now? You should be. Anyways, back to talking about the romance. Most of the time, I felt bad for Penryn because she was just so confused when it came to their "relationship". Raffe is the kind of mixed signals. One second he would be protecting her and comforting her, and the next he would be telling her that he doesn't even like her. Then again, he's been against angels mixing with humans forever, so I guess I get why he's so hot and cold.

Character Discussions!

Penryn: Penryn has quickly become one of my favorite female characters of all time. She is so funny and snarky and sarcastic. And she definitely kicks some serious butt throughout the book. The way she would stop at nothing to save her little sister really touched my heart. Penryn is such a strong character and I'm really excited to see more of her in the next book.

Raffe: I LOVED this guy! When I first started this book, I never expected an angel to be as sarcastic and snippy the way Raffe was. But I was so happy that he was unlike what i expected. Like many other guys in YA books, Raffe hides his feelings for Penryn from her. I hope he'll be a little more open with her in the next book.

Paige: This little girl just broke my heart. She was just so adorable and sweet and I just loved her.

Mom: This is Paige and Penryn's mom and I loved her. Susan Ee is brilliant for making the mom psychotic. It was the highlight of the book; it made situations pretty funny. Some situations. Not all.

My Randomness Moment: I love how the mom was the head thug at the angel hotel. It was so funny to read about her and her cattle prod. All the other thugs are like, "No! Please don't hit me with your cattle prod!"

Quotes!

"We now play a permanent game of I-am-crazier-and-scarier-than-you."

"Big words from a guy who's trussed up like a turkey. What are you going to do, wobble over here like an upside-down turtle to snap me in half?"

"Just my own personal demon, Mom. Don't worry. He's just a little weakling."

"When I was little, I always thought I'd be Cinderella, but I guess this makes me the wicked witch.
But then again, Cinderella didn't live in a post-apocalyptic world invaded by avenging angels."


"As an experiment, I call him all kinds of names in my head. When he doesn't respond, I come up with random images in my head to see if I can get him to give me a funny look."

"Anybody who ties you to a chair at gunpoint is a bad guy. Do I really need to explain this?"

""My friends call me Wrath," says Raffe. "My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What's your name, soldier boy?""

"What, and miss the fun of rattling their tiny little brains wondering what happened?"

"I have more than a few "eww" moments during the day."

"She turns back to Raffe, her face melting into a radiant smile. She puts her hand on his arm as he's about to take off his pants.
And that's all the excuse I need.
I grab a sudsy shirt out of the gray water and throw it at her.
It makes a plopping noise when it lands on her face, wrapping around her hair. Her perfect hair clumps into a stringy mass, and her mascara smears as the cloth slides wetly down her blouse. She emits a high-pitched squeal that turns every head within earshot.
"Oh, I'm sorry," I say in a sugary voice. "Did you not like that? I thought that's what you wanted. I mean, why else would you be getting all grabby with my man?""


"A little weird? That was freakin' Bizarroville."

""Not that . . . you didn't look right before. I mean, you always look . . . magnificent." Magnificent? I almost roll my eyes. What a dope. I don't know why I said that."

"One of the guards eyes us as though his Spidey sense is sending alarm signals about us."

"When a man in purple and screaming pink stares at you, you know it's time to change your appearance."

"My mother opens her arms wide as she walks toward me. Her cattle prod dangles from her wrist like an oversized charm bracelet for the insane."

"She's had a lot of practice sneaking around in the dark, avoiding Things-That-Chase-Her."

Did I like this book? Loved!
Would I reread it? Hell to the yes.
Would I recommend it? Go buy this now!



--What did you think of this review?! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment