Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mini Book Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell




TWO MISFITS. ONE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE. 
It's 1986 and two star-crossed teens are smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you'll remember your own first love--and just how hard it pulled you under.

 A cross between the iconic '80s movie Sixteen Candles and the classic coming-of-age novel Looking for Alaska, Eleanor & Park is a brilliantly written young adult novel.

Rating Scale (1-10): 10


My Review: I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, so excuse me if I seem like I'm all over the place. Which I kind of am. Eleanor & Park was such a fantastic contemporary read and I'm so upset with myself for not picking it up sooner. This past year I had read--and loved--Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. So naturally, I just had to pick this one up next. I had not heard one bad thing about this book and I was really excited to start it. Rainbow Rowell is such an amazing writer that I'm having some trouble trying to explain how it made me feel. I will for sure read anything this woman puts out, because with this book I was already so invested in the book in the first 100 pages. That doesn't happen often with books.

Eleanor and Park's relationship was just so darn cute! It's one of those romances where all you could do is go, "Awwwwwwwww!" And believe me, most of the time, that's exactly what I did. It's not one of those insta-love contemporary reads either. Their relationship develops so cute and really believable. With all the comic books and mix tapes, it makes you want to have a relationship exactly like theirs.

I'm not sure there's more I can say without giving away most of the book. But yeah, I loved this book so much and it is a definite recommend.

No Character Discussions! Sorry!

My Randomness Moment: There was one line in the book that probably made me laugh way more than necessary, but I just found it so funny that I couldn't stop laughing. It was just after when Eleanor and Park held hands for the first time and Park was all nervous and wondering if it was possible if you could rape someone's hand with your own. It sounds weird, but trust me, it was pretty funny.

No Quotes! Sorry!

Did I like this book? Absolutely loved. It has a permanent place on my favorites shelf.
Would I reread it? Duh! I'm always going to need some more Park!
Would I recommend it? If you're into contemporary, then you should most definitely pick this one up. It's amazing. Even if you're not that into contemporary, pick it up.


--What did you think of this review? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment